200 kuna

Published: 31/1/2015

Issue: 7 March 2002 (signature: Željko Rohatinski), released into circulation: 12 August 2002

Issue: 9 July 2012 (signature: Boris Vujčić), released into circulation: 1 July 2013

Size: 142 x 71 mm

Main colour: brown

Motif on the obverse: a portrait of Stjepan Radić (1871-1928)

Stjepan Radić was born in 1871 in Trebarjevo Desno near Sisak. While still in high school, his political activities brought him into conflict with the authorities. He became one of the most popular figures of the Croatian political scene largely due to his attachment to the Croatian peasants and representation of Croatian national interests, which caused him to be often persecuted and imprisoned. With his brother Antun, he founded the Croatian People's Peasant Party in 1904, becoming a representative in the Croatian Parliament for the first time in 1908. He participated in the founding of the State of SHS (Serbs, Croats and Slovenes), but was averse to unification with the Kingdom of Serbia without prior settlement regarding Croatia's position. Radić died from injuries received in the National Assembly in Belgrade on 20 June 1928, when a delegation of the Croatian Peasant Party, consisting of Stjepan and Pavao Radić and Đuro Basariček, was shot at by Serbian radical Puniša Račić. Assassination was the only way to stop the relentless political work of the most prominent political figure in Croatia at the beginning of the 20th century.

Motif on the reverse: the building of the Osijek general headquarters, monument of the Holy Trinity and the ground plan of the Osijek Fortress


Between 1724 and 1726, by order of Prince Eugene of Savoy, a military command building was constructed on the north side of the square within Osijek fortress. The building's current appearance was completed forty years later with the addition of a second floor. It was the headquarters of the Slavonian General Command and Slavonian government, doubling as a theatre and ballroom.


The Osijek monument of the Holy Trinity, located in the centre of the Fortress, is associated with the practice of erecting votive monuments during large outbreaks of plague in the 17th and 18th centuries. This Baroque style monument with five patron saints - protectors from the plague - and the Holy Trinity, was raised between 1729 and 1730 in front of the military command by Baroness Marija Ana Petraš.


The Osijek Tvrđa fortress is of exceptional historical and heritage value. The way that the centuries-old city of Osijek transformed into a military fortress is a unique phenomenon with no comparison in Croatia or in all of Europe. After a century and a half long period of Ottoman rule which ended in 1687, Turkish Osijek was completely destroyed. The Imperial War Council in Vienna believed that the city needed to be rebuilt and fortified, so in 1691 a comprehensive plan for building forts and military buildings within the walls was developed, modelled on the lowland fortresses of the Netherlands. Construction lasted for nearly thirty years, ending in 1719. The fortress had a horn, eight bastions, four doors, 22 outer fortifications, five powder magazines and two armouries. Small scale upgrades both within and without the fortress were carried out for several more decades. The development of new warfare techniques turned it into a monument to military architecture and history. From the 19th century until the 1930s, parts of the fortress were demolished.